Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April 22nd

Today, 25 years ago, my father died. It no longer feels like yesterday. Not even like last week. It still doesn’t feel like 25 years though.
It’s the second year in a row that I’ve started something on March 22nd, so when April 22nd came, it was the anniversary of my achievement, rather than the day my dad died. I guess I was trying (unconsciously, of course) to turn April 22nd into a good day, and it was easy to fool myself since there were always good reasons to choose March 22nd as a day to start things. Last year I chose to quit smoking on that day, because it was the first day of spring. This year I decided to start exercising, walking daily, and eating healthy (ok, let’s call it by its name: I’m on a freakin' diet.) March 22nd was the day Sean left, so I figured it would be a good day to start.

Over the years I’ve been quite creative in my attempts to make April 22nd into something else. Five years ago I changed my ticket from Thailand on the very last minute so April 22nd became the day I left Thailand and the last day I spent with ‘E’ – a guy who at the time I thought I was madly in love with (and who ended up becoming born again Jew – see February 26th post about me running into him in Tel Aviv.) I guess I wanted something new for April 22nd. A different kind of heartache to replace the one I’ve been carrying around for twenty years. Change it up a little.

One of my best friends lost her dad a few years ago on May 13th. “Sean and I met on May 13th,” I mentioned to her last week, and she sighed heavily, annoyed. “Are you mad that Sean and I met on May 13th?” I asked. “Did we steal your May 13th?” She laughed and nodded.

I really tried to make today the day I celebrated a month of my diet, but I couldn’t. Instead, I spent it eating ice cream and chocolate, slacking on my walks (unless you call wandering aimlessly in an air conditioned mall while wearing my sun glasses and eating ice cream - a walk), fighting with my brother and crying. I ended up feeling sick to my stomach. (The ice cream? The mall?)

It doesn’t work. It never worked. April 22nd would always be the day my father died. I can give it a new outfit, slap some makeup on it, and call it September, but it will always be that day.
And that’s all I have to say about it

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

baby, your blog kicks ass. i've been neglectful and haven't read it for a while. But that just makes it better, because when i came back there was more to read. I love you babe, and I love your blog too.

Ayelet said...

Thanks baby!!! It means a lot to me, that you enjoy it. Missing you tons!

Eufemia said...

Yes, Sean's right, it kicks serious ass.

Wish I coulda bought that ice cream for you (and one for me too) and walked with you.

be well, dearest

Ayelet said...

Eufemia dearest!!! Missing you so much! Soon we'll be reunited.

Eufemia said...

Yes! I am so excited!

You know it's weird, so far apart and we still write about similar things - or maybe I was being telepathic. Because on the evening of the 22nd in India, I was crying about the future impending loss of my father. I thought that was odd, when I read your blog, and I felt such an ache all day, that day.

I'll make us an ice cream dessert for the reunion, but we can only eat it after we go for a hike.

Ayelet said...

Wow, Eufemia, i got goosebumps reading this. I'm so touched and amazed. So yes, ice cream, limonana with Arak and definitely a walk.... Love you!

Tam the Uke said...

Hello there (soon to be home)lovely lady,,,thanks for the comment on my blog about that fella...I contacted him and I will see how it goes. You have been an awesome inpiration for me...thanks neighbour...see you soon