Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Back to Amsterdam for a minute...

People in Amsterdam love boots. They take their boots very seriously. Not just the women. Even the guys. Everywhere I see I find boots I wished I own. Leather and suede, heels and flats, pointy and rounded, they outnumber sneakers by 10 to 1. This obsession with footwear proved to be contagious, and got a little out of hand. While Sean commented on the architecture I commented on women’s shoes. It got me into some compromising positions, like the one that needed for me to take this next photo (I was really sneaky about it but I just had to document! I was in awe of this woman’s courage and ability to think outside the box, even if the final result was just hideous. Sean, surprisingly, thought she made it work. I’ll let you be the judge of that…)




Yesterday when we went to the Rijx museum (Holland’s Louver as some call it,) I pointed at some dude at a renaissance painting by Rembrandt and cried: “This is it! These are the boots I want!” Sean pretended to be looking at another painting, like he doesn’t know me. That’s when we both knew I have a problem. On the way home we stopped at a second hand shop and tried a few pairs under 50 euros. It would make a really good story if I ended up going home with a pair, but unfortunately none fit and I am still bootless.


Also today I got to watch a washing machine being carried up to the sky by a rope in the middle of a busy street. A crowd was cheering and tourists were taking photos as a group of young men pulled on the rope and two guys leaned outside the top window to pull the machine in. Two couches and a chest of drawers followed. Every house in Amsterdam has a bar with a hook extending from the roof for that purpose. How cool is that?

We had glorious weather for the last two days in Amsterdam and now it’s time to leave. If anybody wants a great studio apartment in Amsterdam, contact me for the info. It was a great place! (this is the view from one of the windows.)

No comments: